Our Family

Our Family

Friday, January 11, 2013

2013 Archery Pig Hunts

 



   Well like every January we find our selves with our bows in our hands in search of Javelina. This year good friend Artie Garcia joined us on opening day for his attempt to harvest his first animal with a bow. January 1st me, Artie, Brittany and my dad set out to a spot close to home since the 1st was in the middle of the week. After an hour of glassing the herd was spotted and Artie was up first. We got to 40 yards of seven pigs and Artie took a shot, miss. He got another arrow out and hammered his pig at 43 yards no more then 200 yards below our glassing point.

                                              
                             >>>>>>click here for the go pro footage of Artie's pig<<<<<<<




  Well as soon as we finished with Artie's pig we glassed for another hour and couldn't relocate the herd so we were off to some more country in other units close by. An hour and half before dark we glassed up another herd in some country we used to hunt when I was a kid. This time Brittany was up and the race was on, we had alot of country to cross with little time. There were 8 pigs and soon we found ourselves within 18 yards of a mature pig feeding on roots. Brittany drew her bow 5 times on this pig as he would turn broadside then turn back, her patience has really matured the more experience she has gotten. Finally another mature pig came up to join and she drew as he cleared the cactus and stopped at 15 yards broadside. She made a perfect shot with her new Bowtec Heartbreaker shooting the ulmer edges, the pig fell over with a double lung shot and never got up.



   Now it was me and my dad left to fill our tags. We headed to the area where we pulled a double last year, where there is no shortage of pigs. It was now Saturday morning and as we reached our glassing spot at 7 am within 5 minutes my dad glassed up 6 mature pigs. We made a plan and told each other that the first one to get a shot to take it, with that said I told my dad for the years of me being a kid and going first it was his turn first. Soon we found ourselves 60 yards from the herd as they fed towards us. 


 With me behind my dad the first shooter stepped from the brush and presented a shot. My dad took the shot and the pig went about 40 yards and laid down. With a follow up shot his pig was down and it was my turn. There were two pigs that had never heard the commotion and were laying down around a cactus. I slipped in to 30 yards and as the pig stood up I shot and missed. With a quick woof he stopped at 40 and I made a good shot making it our 4th double in four years.





    No matter what people say about "stink pig" hunting we look forward to every January to relax and have some good ol fun chasing pigs. I can't wait for next January to be doing it all over again!!









No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
2012 is in the books! We have had an amazing last year with the birth of our beautiful daughter Lacey Ann. We look forward to sharing 2013 with our family and friends!