Our Family

Our Family

Friday, April 26, 2013

Opening Morning Bird 2013

  Well after months of waiting and lots of time watching a learning the habits of these turkeys in a new area we are done! After finding a spot with a good number of birds in it awhile back and drawing the tag I could not wait for this hunt. The past two months my wife has taken our 1 year daughter, Lacey in the woods scouting for my turkey hunt. She did an amazing job on finding the birds and even getting some awesome photos and videos of them. Getting up early and making the long drive to this area and dealing with a toddler is no easy task. Thanks babe love ya!

  The night before the hunt I found myself getting off work and rushing to the woods to roost some birds. It was super windy and cold with even some rain to top it off, but I bared the elements and found the birds. The birds were very active and looked like if they roosted in an ideal spot the chance of me filling my tag would increase. But like most Arizona hunts the public comes in to play,  here comes a quad flying down a dirt trail even off road at times and blows all the birds out and I'm scrambling to keep tabs on the two flocks. My worst fears again were haunting me that other hunters would spoil what I had coming the next morning.

  

  With that I patiently waited and watched as the birds headed for a group of trees right on a main rd!! I knew from last weekend there have been hunters drive right into the trees and try to locate birds out their window and blow them out of the roost. So now I'm really nervous and with that plan to leave super early so we have time to park and get close and let the birds do their thing.


   As we parked the toms are piping off and we are surrounded in this canyon by 5 or 6 toms. We stick to the plan and slip down along the meadow where we have watched the birds pitch into and scratch around. As soon as we set up some decoys and get comfy the birds pitch way early and now we have two gobblers at 100 yards strutting, now we just need them to see the decoys. A hen stepped in with them and we clucked back n forth and the toms looked our way only to hear the sound of a truck coming down the road...... The truck pulls right up to the field and blows the birds out and next the hunter starts calling from his truck. I'm furious now that people are their worst enemy when it comes to hunting, and why can I not escape from the idiot hunters!!!

   Nothing answers him and I call my wife who is positioned above me with good friend Artie glassing for me. I figured I would have hunters all over this spot and with good glass they let us know a big flock is moving away. My father and I slip over a couple ridges and set up and listen.. We can hear the clueless sounds coming from the hunter at his truck so we hold tight knowing the travel patterns of these birds from when we scouted. Soon three toms and a couple hens appear at 80 yards and they are trying to avoid the other hunter. They never once answered him or acted interested, and here they come our way. I'm trying to video at the same time and I'm sitting in the middle of an oak thicket was not allowing me time to do so. The lead tom hits an opening at 40 yards and I raise my gun and as the next tom enters I squeeze. BOOM!!! 645 am I am completed with my 2013 turkey hunt and all the excitment and waiting is over.

   Theres nothing I love more then spring time turkey action, and nothing better then having your father on your side and your wife with good friend watching from above. Thanks again guys on a fun and frustrating two hour hunt!! Theres always next year!

My bird had 1/2 inch spurs with an 10 3/4 inch beard, my biggest Arizona bird!






No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
2012 is in the books! We have had an amazing last year with the birth of our beautiful daughter Lacey Ann. We look forward to sharing 2013 with our family and friends!